Why Upgrade the Atari? The original Atari 2600 had very poor RF video quality. Many new TV's will not recognize the RF signal from vintage consoles. With this upgrade your sound and video will be much better.
About this kit: This style kit is very popular and has been on the market for a long time. Most techs and sellers suggest that this kit is compatible with all Atari revisions. After much testing and customer feedback we have decided that it is not truly "universal". This kit looks amazing on the mini Atari Jr models but the 4 switch and 6 switch models are lack luster and dim in comparison. If you want the best composite/svideo picture on 4 or 6 switch models view my upgrade service here
Using with 4 Switch & 6 Switch Atari's: 99% of our customers have had no issues with this circuit and it's composite quality but a few have had video brightness/quality issues. For the price and ease of install this kit is difficult to beat. Though my standards are high when it comes to video quality and customer satisfaction. Therefor I only suggest this kit for the Atari Jr and Atari 7800.
Kit Works with:
- Atari 2600 Jr Mini Model (great image quality)
- Atari 2600 4 Switch Model (works but not best quality, view my upgrade services for optimal Atari composite kit alternatives)
- Atari 2600 6 Switch Model (works but not best quality, view my upgrade services for optimal Atari composite kit alternatives)
- Atari 7800 (great image quality)
- Made with 1% high tolerance blue metal film resistors.
- Custom made PCB that looks wonderful!
- Has Extra resistor for 75ohm impenitence to your TV. (many kits omit this)
- Comes with hookup-wire and RCA jacks
I have several versions to choose from:
Kit with Silver Jacks.
Kit with Gold Jacks.
- Bare Kit without Jacks or Wire: Can be used in combination with this cable and single 3.5mm jack method. Less holes need drilling in the consoles. Click here
- Hookup Wire is optional.
Basic Tools You Will Need
- Soldering Iron and Solder
- Wire Cutters/Strippers
- Needle Nose Pliers (optional but helpful)
- Drill with 1/4″ and 1/8″ bit
- Philips Screwdriver
NTSC Instructions are under development and can be found here. This kit will work with international PAL consoles but no instructions are available for PAL at this time.