The original system system had RF video quality only. Many new HDTVs will not recognize vintage RF video signals. Upgrading to composite video will make your Intellivision easier to setup on modern displays.
This amp is currently the best composite kit I have tested. It's not perfect and has some limitations but I've tried several different variations and designs for the Intellivision. This kit shows the least amount of ghosting and color bleed vs other circuits tested. Several photos of composite crt screen shots are posted below. Your results may vary depending on the television type.
PROS: This kit is the most compatible with a wide range of Intellivision motherboard variations. No components are removed during the installation. Other upgrade kit designs (with near equal video quality) require complete removal of RF unit, very difficult for most home DIY installers. With this kitt only 4 wires are soldered to the motherboard. The kit is easily removed and reverted back to original RF if desired.
CONS: The composite video is not perfect. You may see faint vertical lines on solid colors and some faint noise on screen. I uploaded a few screen shots of games with this installed mod. For the cost and ease of installation this is a spectacular kit.
- Intellivision NTSC 1 & 2 Consoles (I only have instruction for model 1 at this time)
- Made with quality components & high tolerance metal film resistor.
- Custom made PCB that looks wonderful.
- Installation easy and clean.
I have several versions to choose from:
- Kit with Silver RCA Jacks.
- Kit with Gold RCA Jacks.
- Kit without Jacks: Can be used in combination with this cable and single 3.5mm jack method. Less holes need drilling in the consoles. Click here
Basic Tools You Will Need:
- Soldering Iron and Solder
- Wire Cutters/Strippers
- Drill with 1/4″ Bit.
- A decent desoldering system, removing the RF shielding is the most difficult part of the installation.
Instructions can be found here